MaxCyte is the leader in cell transfection with a world-wide marketed flow electroporation platform spanning the discovery, development, clinical, and manufacturing applications of virtually all classes of innovative therapeutics. MaxCyte’s customers and partners utilize its technologies in the development and commercialization of cell-based therapies in regenerative medicine and active cell immunotherapies and in the discovery and development of protein drugs, monoclonal antibodies, vaccines, and small molecule drugs. MaxCyte is located in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
The Senior Scientist, mRNA Process Development develops and designs mRNA molecules, conducts independent research to identify novel methods for enhancing mRNA stability or function, establishes processes for the manufacture and scale-up of mRNA production, establishes analytical development of mRNA, and performs internal and external technology transfers. This individual collaborates across various functions to achieve optimized project plans, with the ultimate goal to deliver mRNA molecules for use in ex- vivo loading for pre-clinical and clinical development of engineered cell therapies. This individual works independently.
- Leads and establishes mRNA technology platform program by designing and executing experiments; and through strategic partnerships and management of internal and external technology transfer.
- Conducts process development efforts for scale up of mRNA manufacturing processes ensuring smooth technology transfer to cGMP and CDMOs.
- Provides technical support and resolves scale-up and manufacturing issues, develops solutions to improve process efficiency and product quality, in collaboration with multidisciplinary team of internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops analytical assays for mRNA translation and protein expression; functional optimization and production.
- Establishes and leads program to enhance mRNA stability following ex vivo cell loading; and extending duration and level of protein expression from loaded cells.
- Maintains and establishes new relationships with outside collaborators which provide key insight and access to appropriate quality of raw materials and reagents for mRNA production.
- Supports and contributes to IND filings/regulatory documentation for use of mRNA as critical raw material in ex vivo engineering of cells.
- Complies with all applicable policies regarding health, safety, and environmental policies.
- Ph.D. in a scientific field (biochemistry, biology, chemistry, chemical engineering, etc.) or related area and at least 8 years of experience working for a biotech/pharmaceutical company or in academia (post-doctorate); or equivalent
- Hands on experience in mRNA synthesis (both small and large scale), purification, formulation, and stability testing required
- Strong background in nucleic acid chemistry, enzymatic and chemical reactions, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules
- Demonstrated experience with nucleic acid analytical characterization, production, purification, and formulation
- Ability to design and execute laboratory experiments
- Strong writing skills and presentation skills required. Demonstrated ability to communicate scientific data and ideas to a large audience of varying scientific disciplines clearly and effectively
- Experience working with CROs/CDMOs effectively
- Ability to establish and build relationships
- Excellent organizational, project management and time-management skills
MaxCyte, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please reference mRNA Scientist in the subject line.