The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 30, 2019
Position will remain open until filled.
The Brenner research group is an interdisciplinary research group, at the University of California, Berkeley. Our research has implications for diseases from cancer to Crohn’s Disease, and the future of personalized medicine for all people. We have a dozen members ranging from undergraduates to senior researchers and the research group provides a dynamic, occasionally demanding, flexible, and supportive work environment. We are associated with the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, the Department of Bioengineering, the Center for Computational Biology, and the Institute for Quantitative Bioscience at the University of California Berkeley. We are also affiliated with Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and the University of California, San Francisco. We have collaborations with researchers worldwide.
The Brenner computational genomics research group is seeking a Research / Laboratory Manager. The Research / Laboratory Manager will play a key role in facilitating effective laboratory operations and research efforts for a cutting-edge genomics, computational biology, and bioinformatics research group.
* Day-to-day management and requisition of laboratory materials and supplies, organization and maintenance of chemical and lab equipment inventories, and upkeep of the common laboratory including space safety procedures/protocols including for collaborative programs.
* Routine information management, interfacing with department and service structures, outreach and website production, calendar maintenance, travel coordination, management of correspondence, and meeting schedules and retreats, including for collaborative programs.
* Learn and employ standard laboratory and program management tasks including procurement and reimbursement, personnel appointments, and budget and grant preparation, management, review and reporting including for collaborative programs.
* Production of weekly reports and recording of information in standardized forms.
* Supervision of one or more undergraduate assistant(s) to perform routine tasks.
* Depending on skills, preparation of reagents and buffers; equipment maintenance; scientific software development and graphics; editing of research papers and grant proposals.
* Excellent facility with all components of the Microsoft Office family and Adobe Creative Suite.
* Able to work effectively with and respond to collaborators and other lab members and meet their needs.
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
* Demonstrated fluent and facile command of written and spoken English.
* Overtime may be required for this position; limited travel might be required.
* Previous experience using and maintaining standard molecular biology equipment such as PCR machines, microplate readers, and chemical inventories.
* Previous experience with scientific data analysis and/or visualization, software development, script writing and web site development.
* Authorship of published scientific papers, and scientific poster presentation experience.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment through the UC Berkeley job site: https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27300&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct