RNA biology Post-doc position in the in the RNA Metabolism Laboratory of Joanna Kufel to work on a project “Stress adaptation and regulation of gene expression in eukaryotic cells via alternative transcriptional and translational mechanisms”, carried out within the TEAM programme of the Foundation for Polish Science (4.4 SG OP).
Global gene expression is subject to systematic reprogramming during cell cycle, development, metabolic changes, stress response and programmed cell death. These transitions, mediated at the transcriptional and postranscriptional levels, involve a massive flux of cellular RNAs and proteins. The major aim of this project is to establish connections between regulatory mechanisms that that use non-coding and coding properties of RNA molecules and orchestrate changes in gene expression programs during the response to physiological and stress-induced stimuli in eukaryotic cells. We focus on the following less-examined and alternative aspects of this regulation in a model eukaryotic organism yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: i) the impact of stress-induced antisense RNAs on transcription of genes encoding stress factors; ii) regulation of transcription and translation by stress-derived degradation products of stable structural RNAs; iii) the regulatory potential of short peptides encoded by stress-activated “non-coding” RNAs; iv) stress-induced changes in the expression of protein isoforms generated by non-canonical translation initiation. We will use both high-throughput (e.g. RNA-seq, ribosome profiling, peptidomics) and specific molecular biology approaches to analyse in detail the network of interactions between RNA molecules and proteins during the perception of aging and autophagy that integrate the response to nutrient deficiency
- Recent Ph.D. degree in life sciences: molecular biology, genetics or related field (4 years or less after Ph.D.)
- Prior experience in RNA and molecular biology techniques, inlcuding high-throughput approaches and/or proteomics
- Competence in bio-informatics or aptitute to learn required skills
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
- Planning and implementation of research in the designated part of the project
- Data analysis and reporting
- Presenting results at seminars and conferences
- Writing scientific papers
- Participation in laboratory everyday duties
The position is funded by the Foundation for Polish Science for 2.5-3 years, salary 115000 PLN pa.
- CV with detailed description of research experience, list of publications and information about previous employment (if applicable)
- Motivation letter
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Statement: “I give permission to the University of Warsaw, registered at the address of ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa, to process my personal data for the purposes of carrying out the recruitment procedure, choosing the employee, and entering into an employment contract with the University of Warsaw, if applicable. I have been informed about my legal rights and obligations in relation to these actions. I acknowledge that providing the aforementioned personal data is done by me on a voluntary basis.” (can be added to the CV)
- Contact details and e-mail addresses of two people willing to provide a reference letter on request
Application deadline 30th September 2019. Please apply via e-mail to email@example.com. Informal inquiries and questions welcome.